PMG Organizers: Don Takehara, Jet LeBlanc, Joanna Downer, Paula Carney, & M. S. (Peg) AtKisson.
The 2022 NORDP Conference included multiple sessions that addressed the discipline of coaching and how it can be used in research development (RD), including faculty research career development, research leadership development, and research team engagement.
The Coaching & RD Peer Mentoring Group (PMG) is now being launched to provide a vehicle for supporting NORDP members interested in coaching.
Coaching fits a broader collection of skills in the RD skillset to further faculty research career development and reflects the dynamic nature of the RD profession. Coaching is a powerful process that encompasses a distinct set of competencies. The International Coaching Federation defines coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.” Coaching often unlocks previously untapped sources of imagination, productivity, and leadership. Trained coaches can engage individual faculty to address research career and research leadership development, facilitate research team engagement, and promote development of research leaders.
Using the peer mentoring model, the Coaching & RD PMG’s goals are to:
- Enable members to explore coaching as part of the RD skillset
- Develop programs to offer coaching as an RD service at the institutional level
- Assess coaching as a contributor to faculty and organizational research attainment
- Provide a setting for accountability and continuous improvement for RDs interested in coaching in research development
The Coaching & RD PMG is for NORDP members who may be curious about becoming a coach to add to their RD skillset, interested in adding coaching to an institution’s faculty research career, research leadership development, or research team engagement programs, as well as other opportunities for RD professionals that may benefit from inclusion of coaching.
NORDP Members can view and join PMGs via the WisdomShare Platform.
NORDP members interested in learning more about all eight active PMGs can do so at the 2023 Peer Mentoring Group (PMG) Orientation on Wednesday, October 26, 2022, noon-1:30 pm Eastern.
- Career & Professional Development: exploring how to become more efficient and effective in our roles
- Coaching & RD: developing and implementing coaching as part of the research development (RD) skillset
- Communication: promoting awareness of RD opportunities and publicizing research
- Collaboration and Team Science: building collaborations and interdisciplinary research programs
- Leadership & Management: leading in both official and unofficial capacities
- Mentorship Training: discussing and supporting mentoring best practices for mentors and mentees
- Proposal Development: supporting faculty grant seeking and increasing extramural funding
- Strategic Planning & Advancement: guiding policy and planning for enhanced research and scholarship