Authored by Nicole Brey
The Whova app may be new to many of you attending the 2023 NORDP Conference in Arlington, Virginia, next week. To make the most of your conference experience, below is a list of the top 5 tips from a new Whova user to best utilize the app.
- Navigation: The navigation menu for the app is on the bottom of the screen, with Home in the bottom left corner. While you are toggling through the Whova app, this navigation menu remains so you can always find the most important areas. In addition to Home, this includes Agenda, Attendees, Community, and Messages. On the Home screen, there are 15 boxes for Additional Resources such as Session Q&A, Exhibitors, and Documents.
- Agenda: The Full Agenda by day can be located by clicking the Agenda tab on the bottom of the screen. This includes not only talks and workshops, but also events like scheduled networking breakfasts, breaks, and poster sessions. When you identify sessions you would like to attend, you can add them to your own personal agenda by clicking on the calendar icon to the right of the session. This will populate My Agenda, with the tab to the right of Full Agenda. You can even set a reminder in Whova to alert you 10 or 20 minutes before the session so you do not miss it. In addition, you can add your own activities to your personal agenda by clicking Add My Own Activity at the bottom of My Agenda.
- Tracks: Inside the Agenda area, above Full Agenda and My Agenda, are Tracks with a drop down menu. Tracks are color coded by things like funder, level, affinity group, region, and other common threads found among the research development community. You can filter each day’s agenda by tracks to ensure you attend sessions most relevant to your areas of professional focus.
- Community: A community chat can be found by clicking the Community tab on the bottom of the screen. Here you can add a message to an existing topic like Meet-ups or Job Openings, or you can create a new conversation topic. If there is a specific topic in the Community board that you want to follow, you can click Follow next to that topic. You can then filter Community by only those topics you are following.
- Attendees: The attendee list and profiles can be found by clicking the Attendee tab on the bottom of the screen. You can browse attendees or search attendees by keyword such as employer name or title. In the Attendee profile, you can take notes about them or send them a direct message. The Whova app also recommends connections for you based on their profiles and yours, so be sure to complete your own profile by clicking on your profile picture, and then the pen icon in your profile preview, to make the most of this networking opportunity.
If you would like more in-depth knowledge of Whova features, be sure to visit the Whova Step-by-Step Guide, Quick Tips and FAQs on the app itself. The Whova Guide is found under the Additional Resources boxes on the Home page. We look forward to connecting with all of you, via Whova and in person, at the Conference!