#NORDP2017 starts Monday, May 8 in Denver, CO. Keep checking back here at the blog and on our Twitter feed (@NORDP_official) for live conference updates. Register here: http://www.nordp.org/conferences.
If this is your first time attending the conference, you may feel some apprehension. With more than 45 unique offerings, the conference is jam-packed with sessions, keynotes, and other activities. Here are a few helpful tips to make the most of the 9th Annual Research Development Conference!
- Register or renew your NORDP membership. NORDP members receive a discount on conference registration that equates to the annual dues. After you have registered be sure to subscribe to the NORDP listserv.
- Consider registering for a pre-conference workshop. It makes for an immersive experience! Since most pre-conference workshops include group work and accommodate a limited number of attendees, you will have many opportunities to get to know your fellow workshop attendees.
- Sign up for a networking dinner even if you do not know the host. These dinners are a great opportunity to meet RD professionals and strengthen existing relationships. Keep an eye on your email, networking dinners will be organized before the conference.
- Write down three goals for yourself at the conference. Really, write them down. Whether you want to make a connection at a peer institution, identify models of supporting NSF CAREER proposals, or get advice about your own career path, recording your goals will help you be intentional and focused.
- Tentatively select the presentations that you would like to attend during the concurrent sessions ahead of time. Your goals may help drive your selections and the pillars (Hot Topics, LDRD, and RD Fundamentals) can serve as a guide.
- Don’t be shy about introducing yourself! Bring plenty of business cards and greet everyone at your table during seated meals. The connections and conversation stemming from these introductions will be worth it.
- Talk to the vendors. RD professionals are uniquely positioned to advise on RD tools and services provided by conference sponsors. It is helpful to know what solutions exist. Even if you do not have budget signatory authority, you can still bring valuable information back to your institution.
- Make a point to spend time at the Idea Showcase, a poster presentation session that coincides with the Sponsor Demonstrations and Reception. Your fellow RD professionals will be excited to share their projects with you.
- Commit to follow up on at least three items within a week. As the conference concludes, you will be filled with ideas and inspiration. Take advantage! Before you head home, commit to follow-up on at least three items within one week. You will be glad you did!
See you in Colorado!
Conference Marketing Committee
We hope to see you at the 2017 NORDP Research Development Conference, which will be held May 8-10 in Denver, CO. For more information about the conference program or to register, visit http://www.nordp.org/conferences. Follow @NORDP_official on Twitter for all the latest #NORDP2017 updates.