The submission system is now open to accept proposals for NORDP 2018 pre-conference workshops. You can access the system HERE. We are seeking expert presenter teams with compelling and relevant content to deliver Pre-Conference Workshops on Monday, May 7, 2018 prior to the NORDP 2018 Annual Research Development Conference in Arlington, VA. This year’s conference theme is Resilience in a Shifting Research Landscape.
These Pre-Conference workshops have the following goals:
- Provide intensive, interactive learning activities and professional development opportunities in selected areas of research development that cannot be adequately presented in a typical one-hour NORDP conference concurrent session; and
- Successfully deliver clearly identified learning objectives and provide relevant takeaways for a targeted audience.
Workshop proposals will be considered on any topic relevant to the broad NORDP membership and, if appropriate, linked to the conference theme of Resilience in a Shifting Research Landscape. Based on last year’s conference evaluations, we have identified several topic areas of interest:
- Faculty development programs and activities; proposals regarding new and junior faculty development are particularly encouraged
- Building and enhancing diversity of the research development professional workforce
- Working with other organizations on campus
- Bringing private sector tools and techniques into the proposal development office
- Moving research into practice
- Practical strategies for teambuilding and implementing team science findings into practice
- Starting and building the research development office
- Creativity in research development
- Professional development for the RD professional
The above list is not exhaustive—the Pre-Conference Workshop Committee welcomes proposals in any area that achieve the goals for these sessions. Proposals are welcomed from previous pre-conference workshop presenters and applicants. Proposals are also encouraged that reflect the breadth of NORDP members, including research development roles and positions, levels of knowledge and experience, academic disciplines, and institution types.
Each workshop will be four OR six hours in length and must have at least two presenters. Enrollment will be limited to 30-35 participants. Presenters will be expected to develop intensive, interactive workshop experiences with appropriate hand-outs and links to additional resources that participants can integrate into their professional activities.
Selected presenter teams will be expected to provide updates to the Pre-Conference Workshop Committee regarding the development of their presentations, including learning objectives, outlines, and handouts/resources. Webinars and resources on effective presentation techniques will be offered to all selected teams. Further, members of the Pre-Conference Workshop Committee will provide direct support to each team to provide feedback and assistance to help ensure the highest quality for each workshop. Presenters will be paid an honorarium for their preparation and presentation.
To propose a pre-conference workshop at NORDP 2018 in Arlington, application materials must be submitted via InfoReady no later than Monday, November 20, 2017 by 5:00 PM local time.
The application will require the following information:
- Workshop Information
- Proposed competencies (knowledge, skills, tools) and learning objectives
- Format and educational strategies, e.g., interactive delivery
- Targeted audience(s), i.e., research development roles and positions, levels of knowledge and experience, academic disciplines, institution types
- Workshop length – four or six hours
- Presenter Information
- Expertise and experience on the proposed competencies and learning objectives
- Expertise and experience in presenting interactive workshops
The criteria used in the selection process mirror these categories, and also take into consideration the goal of addressing a variety of topics and targeted audiences. Selections will be made by early January 2018.
NORDP reserves the right to cancel pre-conference workshops due to lack of enrollment. Workshop participants will be charged additional registration fees to attend these pre-conference workshops. The decision whether to cancel will be made when the early-bird Conference registration discount ends. Selected presenters will be expected to begin development of their materials in advance of this decision.
NORDP fosters a culture of inclusive excellence by actively promoting and supporting diversity, inclusion and equity in all its forms to expand our worldview, enrich our work, and elevate our profession.