Name: Mary K. Green
Institution: Univ. of Massachusetts Amherst
Are you a Mentor? Mentee? Both? Mentee
1) What influenced you to become a mentor or mentee? I became a mentee because I had a mentor in my job and it had been a great experience.
2) What surprised you about being a mentor and/or mentee? How helpful my mentor could be about very specific issues. My mentor provided a sounding board as well as opinions, suggestions and advice.
3) How has participating in the NORDP mentoring program impacted your day-to-day work? I credit my mentor’s help with success in landing my current job and she has helped me figure out how to navigate my new office.
4) What is one way being in the mentoring program has helped increase or broaden your understanding of research development? It has been helpful to get my mentor’s perspective of my experience and skills in comparison to other RD professionals she has known in several institutions. There was no position like mine at my former institution.
5) Are there any additional thoughts would you like to share about the NORDP mentoring program? Thank you!
The NORDP Mentoring Program
The NORDP Mentoring Program offers a formalized pairing process to match a mentor and a mentee with similar professional interests and different levels of experience in order to frame a relationship that offers mutual guidance and support. Once pairs are matched, the mentoring process is an informal one based on the needs of each individual pair.
We encourage Research Development Professionals who have been in the Research Development field for a few years to consider volunteering to be a mentor; and we encourage members who are new (or relatively new) to the field to sign up as a mentee. But feel free to sign up for whatever you feel you need. You can even sign up to be a mentee AND a mentor!
Open Enrollment to the Mentoring Program can be accessed through the following link. The survey will be available through March 16, 2018.
Interested in learning more? Check out the website.
If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
Interested in learning how you can leverage principles of mentoring at your institution?
You are invited to attend a NORDP Pre-Conference Workshop to learn strategies for advancing the research enterprise through building and supporting effective mentoring relationships as well as developing on-campus mentoring programs: Taking the Research Development Professsional to the Next Level Through Effective Mentoring.