Nominations and applications are now being invited for NORDP Board of Directors positions. Nominations for Board positions are due April 6, 2018, and applications for the same are due April 13, 2018.
Available positions: Four Board of Directors positions are available in 2018. Three of these seats represent members whose terms are ending in 2018, and one is a new seat. All four seats are open to eligible NORDP members from any type of institution or region. New Board members are elected for four-year terms.
Eligibility: All regular members of NORDP in good standing who meet the qualifications outlined below are eligible to apply for Board of Directors positions. Any NORDP member employed by a for-profit company that employs more than 25 people is an affiliate member of NORDP and not eligible for election to the Board. Current Board members whose terms are expiring are eligible for nomination and re-election unless they have already served two consecutive terms (in which case they must wait at least one year before becoming eligible for re-election).
Qualifications: Qualifications for serving on the Board of Directors encompass a number of factors, including:
- Active support and/or service to NORDP (e.g., service on committees, working groups, or other efforts on behalf of the organization). While conference presentations are highly valuable to the organization, they do not in and of themselves constitute active support of the organization or demonstrate an individual has knowledge of how NORDP operates and how its mission is served.
- Experience in research development that demonstrates deep knowledge of the profession.
- Experience serving on non-profit boards or providing other forms of organizational leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well and work collaboratively.
Expectations: The expectations for NORDP Board members are significant in terms of time and effort. Members are expected to actively participate in the Board, head committees, and pursue activities that advance the NORDP mission and goals. The time requirement for Board members averages 10 to 12 hours per month. A more detailed position description for members of NORDP’s Board of Directors are available on the NORDP website.
Selection Criteria: The Nominating Committee will evaluate applicants for the ballot based on the following criteria:
- Potential of applicants to serve NORDP effectively, as reflected in their application materials and other evidence such as their description of interests in serving on the Board and the contributions the candidates think they can make, their specific goals for NORDP, and why they think they would make a good candidate.
- Diversity of Board members is highly desirable, although there are no formal requirements.
- Diversity of institution type, location, size, focus, etc. is also highly desirable.
Nomination and Application: Nominators and applicants are requested to prepare submissions in a word processing program and then cut and paste the information into the on-line forms.
Applicants must also upload a brief résumé/CV (three pages maximum) in PDF format, a brief biographical sketch (200-word maximum) in Word format, and a high-resolution headshot (2MB maximum file size; 72 dpi is acceptable).
- Nomination: You may nominate another individual for a Board position using the online form by April 6, 2018. Upon receipt of a nomination, the Nomination Committee will contact the nominee to request completion of an on-line application.
- Application: If you are interested in serving as a Board member, please complete the on-line application form by April 13, 2018.
Selection and Voting Processes: All members of NORDP in good standing (including affiliate members) are eligible to vote in the election, which will be held online. The Nominating Committee will review applications and present the nominees to the membership for a voting process according to the following schedule, which relates to the Annual Meeting (May 7 to 9, 2018):
- Two weeks prior to the Annual Meeting: The Nominating Committee will notify candidates regarding eligibility and placement on the election ballot.
- Annual Meeting: Nominees who have been placed on the ballot by the Nominating Committee will be invited to participate in an open candidates’ forum during the Annual Meeting (specific date, time, and location will be indicated in the conference program and uploaded to the conference website http://www.nordp.org/conferences). Candidate information will be posted to the NORDP website, and the voting period will run from May 7 to 31.
- July 1, 2018: Newly elected Board members assume their duties.
Please contact Nathan Meier at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-472-3902 if you have any questions regarding the Board of Directors nomination, application, or election procedures.
Thank you in advance for your participation in the Board of Directors nomination and application process, which is designed to ensure strong leadership of NORDP.
Posted on behalf of the Nominating Committee and Board of Directors
NORDP fosters a culture of inclusive excellence by actively promoting and supporting diversity, inclusion and equity in all its forms to expand our worldview, enrich our work, and elevate our profession.